Friday, June 14, 2013

Martha Wilson ; Observations and Thoughts

Artist Martha Wilson is one powerful lady. 

Each of her works addresses the issues of society's point of view on feminism as well as gender, identity and roles that go along with this. The way she portrays female subjectivity is alluring and hilarious at the same time. I think my favorite piece from her early works is the piece, A Portfolio of  Models. I also think that since this was the very first piece that I saw from the INOVA gallery, it kind of introduced me to what she was all about. The different roles each woman portrays with different kind of outfit she wears, it was a little troubling to really take in all the reminders of what women have to go through as of today. 

As for her organization, Franklin Furnace, I believe this is another strong move towards improving the society. Looking and reading at what kind of art was displayed there, it seems like it was how art should really be managing. 

The two gallery exhibitions of Martha Wilson... It really made me search within myself and just take in all the BS women still needs to go through-- about our worth in body image, what we do and all the little choices that we make throughout the day determines how we are perceived as a person. I think the overall experience of learning about her and viewing her transformation throughout the years was really encouraging and discouraging at the same time. Encouraging because there are pioneers that came before me that has established a common ground for the future generation and discouraging that it wasn't even that long ago that this problem still occurs in 2013. 

--

This isn't related to Martha Wilson, but speaking of feminism... Check out "Cambridge Needs Feminism"

No comments:

Post a Comment